Search This Blog

TALK FASHION ARCHIVE

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Body Shaming vs. Body Love!


Body Shaming is an epidemic that is currently taking center stage, and although it has good intentions of improving our society, I feel the subject is being largely exploited. 

Lets start by simplifying the idea. The only problem with "body shaming" is the act of SHAMING. Shaming is a result of ignorance that comes from our competitive nature of wanting to "win". No one should shame anyone on any issues whether they be positive or negative. Whenever society starts pointing fingers on anyone, they are starting their own little war of "shaming". Why not stop pointing and start improving!

What we should be doing is campaigning on the issue of "Body Love". Yes, we come in all shapes and sizes, and no one can know the status of ones' health simply by looking, but somehow the issues of healthy choices are getting lost.  The truth is, embracing your body, and loving it is a complex question. How do you love your body without knowing it?  Love is not a sugar coated pass to happiness and spoiling your self. Love is a life responsibility. Accepting your shape means knowing what your "healthy" really feels like. 

Privately, I have struggled with my weight for most of my life, and being fairly thin, such a comment is never taken seriously. I have made my fair share of mistakes with crash diets, overeating, and body hate. However, the only moment I felt content with my body, was when I took the focus away from my measurements, and focused on my own actions. 
Obsessing on physical form, will leave you feeling helpless, while making better choices empowers you. If you eat mindfully, exercise, and control your irrational cravings, you will look good, feel good, and want more from your life. There really is no need to defend, obsess, compare, or deny any body shape, because the body is ever changing. Every choice you are making right now, is  shaping, and reshaping your body for the future.  

In other words, what you do now, is far more important than what you are now. 
Take care of your body first, and the rest will fall into place.


xo,
Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment